Kids nowadays have no respect. Kids nowadays don't care about anything. Kids nowadays don't know how to behave.
What a sad state to be hearing these words regularly! I am sure that 40 years ago some of the grandparent generation said some of the same things. Which lead me to an interesting conversation.
On Sunday, I had to quickly remind my son about some behavior. As a friend came by I smiled and said, "Boys!" She responded by asking which is harder to raise, boys or girls. I had to pause for that one.
My answer to her was, "Moms!"
She looked at me quite strangely. Since she has no children and has not spent much time around my children, she would not have understood, but I tried.
Discipline begins with the parents. Literally. If the parents have no self-discipline, how can they teach their children to have any. Even reprimanding a two-year old correctly requires self-discipline. I had to be willing to pay attention to them, their behaviors and what the real situation was that they were in. Then I had to say what I meant and mean what I said, being diligent to make sure they were obedient. Even when they were teeny.
I have to give of myself to teach my children. Not just in homeschooling. We all know (but are we aware) that we are even teaching our children when we least think that we are. How we walk through and conduct ourselves in Walmart teaches them. How we answer the telephone teaches them. How we speak to our spouses teaches them. How we respond to them teaches them.
Now I am not the perfect person to be showing forth an example. However, being aware that they are always learning goes a long way.
How do I teach them today as we run errands and enjoy a summer day? Discipline on my part is the biggest key. Sure, I would love to have a day where I just get away. Who wouldn't? But being aware keeps me on my toes and keeps me vigilant in how I should be conducting my life even if little eyes weren't watching.
There is never a place I can escape from the eye of the Lord. Thankfully. I think He gave me two pairs of little eyes to train me to be watchful under His guiding eyes. He always strives to be raisin' me to a higher level and purpose.
No comments:
Post a Comment