This morning I had yet another opportunity to watch my daughter think. It is amazing to watch. I always come away flabbergasted, impressed, and humbled.
She had her violin lesson this morning. She is working on a new piece of music that is a bit difficult. Her instructor would play a phrase and then my girl would listen and finger along and then repeat it. For the most part it was cut and dry. No problems. Of course, I am sitting across the room and don't know what the music really looks like.
They reached a section that was a little harder. Some instruction was given. The instructor played first. It was difficult and she sweetly asked my girl if she wanted to hear it again first. My girl readily agreed. This time while she was fingering with the second playing, at the right spot for her, she glanced over to see how the instructor was fingering a certain note. I was blown away. That is a LOT of attention to detail! And we still mark her as an 8 year old! Of course, this is one of those instances where her sixth grade skills kicked in, but I am not even sure that most sixth graders care that much.
While she plays a section with her instructor, she is constantly matching tones and fixing any that she misses, and even changes bow direction without prompting. It is sweet to watch the instructor do those secret smiles, when my girl isn't looking, that mean she thought she would get tricked but she got it.
Of course, I get to see some of those times during a regular homeschool day, but in those outside classes where they are pushing her more than I might be willing to try, it really impresses me. I can watch the wheels spinning and the connections being made.
It is quite humbling to see. Thank you Lord for the opportunity to watch your creation in action. You are a good God!
Oh, how true. What a gift it is to watch our children and to see His gifts in them at work. Great post!
ReplyDelete